This class is held online (Zoom) on June 28th 2020.
Only for participants residing in the Honshu region of Japan. If you reside outside of this area and would like to join the class, please book the online lesson only (excluding bamboo shoots delivery).
What is takenoko?
Bamboo plays a central part in Japanese life and food culture. Fresh and young takenoko (bamboo shoots) are especially renowned for their sweet taste. In this class you will learn more about the art of bamboo farming from the farmer themselves (live from the bamboo forest!) and you will learn:
- More about bamboo farming in Japan
- Different ways of preparing bamboo for meals
This will be followed by a cooking demonstration on how to cook different types of dishes using takenoko. The demonstration is conducted by BentoYa’s Head Chef Akiko Sugawara.
What’s on the menu?
- Rice mixed with bamboo shoots
- Fried bamboo shoots with sweet & sour sauce
- Pickled bamboo shoots with seasonal vegetables
- Clear soup using bamboo shoots
The opportunity to order bamboo shoots directly from the farm to your home!
- These particular bamboo shoots are rarely available in the market
- This is a rare opportunity to receive bamboo shoots directly from the farm
- Due to shipping logistics and costs, the delivery offer is only available to participants in the Honshu region of Japan.
What’s included in the price?
Online class & bamboo shoots delivery: 3,300JPY (incl. tax)
- E-meeting the farmer & learning more about bamboo cultivation
- Introduction to the dishes
- 1.0 hour online cooking demonstration
- Recipe for cooking at home
- Bamboo shoots delivery
About the sponsor:
BLUEFARM INC. is a food producer located in the Miyagi prefecture. The farm’s mission is to surprise the world through food made in Miyagi and they conduct business with several well-known hotels and restaurants. In 2019 they were awarded the Good Design Award for their work taking full advantage of local produce.
How will the class be conducted?
The class will be conducted online through Zoom. We will share the Zoom meeting URL in advance.