This class is held online (Zoom) on June 28th 2020.
What is takenoko?
Bamboo plays a central part in Japanese life and food culture. Fresh and young takenoko (bamboo shoots) are especially renowned for their sweet taste. In this class you will learn more about the art of bamboo farming from the farmer themselves (live from the bamboo forest!) and you will learn:
- about bamboo farming in Japan
- different ways of preparing bamboo for meals
This will be followed by a cooking demonstration on how to make delicious vegan tomato ramen. The demonstration is conducted by BentoYa’s Head Chef Akiko Sugawara.
What’s on the menu?
- Rice mixed with bamboo shoots
- Fried bamboo shoots with sweet & sour sauce
- Pickled bamboo shoots with seasonal vegetables
- Clear soup using bamboo shoots
What’s included in the price?
Online class only: 2,200JPY (incl. tax)
- E-meeting the farmer & learning more about bamboo cultivation
- Introduction to the dishes
- 1.0 hour online cooking demonstration
- Recipe for cooking at home
About the sponsor:
BLUEFARM INC. is a food producer located in the Miyagi prefecture. The farm’s mission is to surprise the world through food made in Miyagi and they conduct business with several well-known hotels and restaurants. In 2019 they were awarded the Good Design Award for their work taking full advantage of local produce.
How will the class be conducted?
The class will be conducted online through Zoom. We will share the Zoom meeting URL in advance.